Mother-in-law festive blues

Home Forums Marriage Support Mother-in-law festive blues

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Maria 2 years ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

My mother-in-law (actually my husband’s stepmother) is a lovely woman and a kind granny, but she’s very famous for her cooking. This drives me mad at this time of the year, because she gets very excited about the Christmas party and starts phoning everyone and telling us what to cook and what she is going to cook and so on.

I would like to do something different sometimes, like maybe a cold buffet as it is so hot at this time of the year, but she can’t let go of the traditions that she and her family have always stuck to.

How can I get her to let go a bit and allow the rest of the family to make decisions and cook more? Apart from anything else, she’s getting on in years a bit and should be taking it easy.

Maria
    Participant

Let it go.  Some of my in-laws’ Christmas rituals also drive me crazy, but you don’t easily change older people’s minds about something that has always been done in a certain way.  The best the family can do is to maybe offer to do some of the “heavier” cooking in her place, but she is unlikely to even take them up on the offer.  Or you could go and help her?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.